Frequently Asked Questions



  1. Are teachers really in high demand?

    Yes, in this area, it is one of the fastest growing job markets. As more and more people continue to move in, local districts continue to build schools. The demand is definitely higher than the number of qualified teachers the area colleges are producing each year.

    In the north central Texas area, the highest demand areas are teaching high school Math or Science or middle school any subject or grade 5. The other great need is for teachers to be highly qualified. A highly qualified label is achieved when a teacher is certified to teach what they are actually assigned to teach. So make sure you will be certified to teach exactly what you are applying to teach.

  2. There is a huge demand for ESL and bilingual teachers also. Many districts offer sign on bonuses and pay increases for teachers who are certified to teach ESL or bilingual. To be certified bilingual, you have to pass the teacher certification test in the language that you are declaring your bilingual language.



  1. What does the Troops to Teachers program do?

    This program offers guidance and support for military veterans who wish to make the transition from active duty into the teaching profession.



  1. Can a person with a Bachelor’s degree teach at the college level?

    Nontransferable courses, such as remedial courses or certificate programs may be taught by a person with only a Bachelor's degree, but most college level instructor positions require a Master's degree.



  1. What does a person need to do to become a teacher?
  2. The admissions requirement of the four year university College of Education or college of your choice would be a good place to see admissions requirements for teaching programs. Typically, a four year institution requires higher THEA scores than just passing scores that the admission to the college would require. Receiving the Associate of Arts in Teaching will put a student in better than average standing for admissions to the college of his or her choice.

    Receiving a Bachelor’s degree from a four year university or college and passing the state teaching certification tests for professional and subject area knowledge will lead to teacher certification. There are steps along the way that provide support and assistance.



  1. Are there other ways to become certified if you have a Bachelors degree in something else and have decided later to become a teacher?
  2. Yes, there is an alternative certification program, a post baccalaureate certification option, and an out-of-state certification.

  3. The best alternative certification programs are offered within each of the various school districts. Determine a list of prospective school districts and ask their Human Resource offices to tell you about their alternative certification programs. This way, you are finding out about the ones that district will accept. There are a lot out there that districts will not hire. So make sure you know where you will work before you pay tuition to this type of situation.Post Baccalaureate Certification includes graduate level courses and may lead to a Masters degree. Out of State Certification varies from state to state. The State Board for Educator Certification has a website that is very detailed for the specific guidelines at



  1. If a student is having a difficult time in a class, what should be done?

    The first thing a student should do is to honestly evaluate their study habits and see if they can devote more time to their studies. Even if they think they are already devoting plenty of time, perhaps just adding some time for a few days or weeks will help them to regain focus in the course. Talk to the instructor for further explanation, to request study notes, or to determine important information or what additional time may be necessary. The student could also form a small study group or find a tutor in the class. If the problem persists and adequate effort is made to pass the class, drop the class. Do Not just quit going to class without fulfilling your obligation of the official drop procedures. You are sure to get an F that will remain on your transcript.



  1. What if the student has a conflict with the instructor?

    If the student has a conflict with an instructor that does not have to do with field placement procedures, then the student should email the instructor and schedule an appointment. Prior to the appointment, the student should be clear about what they are requesting, and what they would like the outcome to be. If possible, they should let the instructor know what they need and want to happen during the meeting so the instructor can also be prepared. If the instructor and student are not able to get the conflict resolved, then the student should let the instructor know at the end of that appointment that they will be contacting the director of the program to discuss this further. At that time, an email should be sent to request an appointment with the director, instructor and student to discuss the issue. Since many times there is a timeliness to these schedules, if the director does not respond within 36-48 hours, the office should be notified that the student is trying to reach the director about a matter that requires a timely response. Please leave a phone number, email address and ways to contact the student and instructor, so this can be handled most efficiently.

  1. If a student cannot meet the rigid demands of the field placement assignment for their course, what can be done?

    If a student cannot meet the rigid demands of the field placement for the course they are taking, there are other alternatives, but at each step along the way, those are once removed. In other words, if a student’s application has been sent to a school district and processed, then they cannot now go place themselves to complete their hours somewhere else. The hours still have to be completed by the offices where the hours were created. If the student cannot complete the hours within the confines of the placement for the course, the instructor, field placement coordinators and director of the program at NCTC, as well as the district personnel need to be notified as quickly as possible so that other students can be placed. This again must happen in a timely manner. No students may use self placements, personal employment, personal relatives, friends, or prior contacts in order to complete current obligations and responsibilities. Also no incompletes will be granted for students who did not complete their field placement hours. This is rule is monitored by two different state boards and exceptions cannot be made.

    After a student has been placed at a public school, and the student chooses to not follow through with this assignment, it reflects badly on the future employment potential for the student, this program, and the teachers who were expecting us. It is absolutely critical that time be created in every students school schedule to complete these hours and the projects that accompany them.